Today we’re here to share a fun and easy way to make a baby-shower themed fruit salad. This fruit salad is oh-so-adorable and sure to get a lot of oohs, aahs, and chuckles from the baby shower guests.
Isn’t that canteloupe baby adorable?
That baby is sleeping in a watermelon basket!
To make this adorable baby shower watermelon cantaloupe fruit salad, you will need a good knife for cutting fruit and a melon ball maker tool.
This fruit salad is made with watermelon, canteloupe, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, and kiwi, but of course you are free to choose whatever fruits you like best. We didn’t include bananas in this fruit bowl because we made it the morning of the party and we didn’t want the bananas to turn brown before the guests arrived.
The first thing you need to do is select a large watermelon and cut out 1/4 of it from the top. You’ll then need to slice the watermelon carefully to leave the rind of the watermelon in place while being able to cut out the fruit to include in the fruit salad itself. Make sure you choose a watermelon that is large enough to hold all of the fruit!
You will need 3 cantaloupes for this recipe: one for the head, one to cut up to go into the fruit salad, and one to slice for around the watermelon on the serving tray. One cantaloupe you will only peel and leave it intact so it keeps its round shape to make the baby’s head.
To make the ears and nose for the baby, you’ll want to use the melon baller to make three balls. Attach them with toothpicks to the side and front to make the ears and nose.
To insert the pacifier, simply cut out a small hole that’s big enough for the pacifier to fit.
The next step is to cut up the fruit for the fruit salad and mix it all together. When all of the fruit is mixed together, you place it in the watermelon and then place the baby cantaloupe head on top. It’s so cute and adorable!
- 1 large watermelon
- 3 Cantaloupes
- 2 pounds of strawberries
- 1 pint of blueberries
- 1 pound of grapes
- 4-5 kiwis
- 1 baby pacifier for decoration
- Cut 1/4 of the watermelon, leaving the rest of the watermelon intact to use as the serving dish. Scoop out the remaining watermelon and use a melon ball roller to use the watermelon in the fruit salad.
- Slice 1 1/2 pounds of strawberries. Cut up 1 cantaloupe and roll into balls for the fruit salad, reserving 3 balls for the baby's head. Peel and slice kiwi and cut each slice in half. Mix together in a large bowl and pour into watermelon shell.
- To make the baby cantaloupe head, peel one cantaloupe. Take 3 cantaloupe balls and attach with a toothpick to make the ears and nose. Take 2 blueberries and poke with toothpick to make the eyes. Cut out a notch for the pacifier and insert pacifier.
- Place the cantaloupe head on top of the fruit salad in the watermelon bowl. Place on a serving tray and garnish the sides with slices of the third cantaloupe and several whole strawberries.
You can alternate and substitute other fruits as desired. If using apples or bananas, be sure to soak in lemon juice to prevent browning.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 47Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 9mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 1g