These old fashioned gingerbread cookies are delicious! This easy to follow recipe makes it simple to create these delicious cookies you are sure to enjoy!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 7 minutes
Additional Time 3 hours
Total Time 3 hours 17 minutes
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 3/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine the dry ingredients of flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In a separate large bowl, using a mixer: beat butter, brown sugar, and egg until smooth.
- Add molasses and vanilla, blend with mixer.
- Slowly stir in dry ingredients until forming a cookie dough consistency.
- Create two large balls from the dough and wrap in plastic wrap and chill for three hours.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie baking trays with parchment paper.
- Starting with a small amount of dough, sprinkle flour on your table and rolling pin and roll flat with a rolling pin - about 1/4 inch thick.
- Use cookie cutter to cut out shapes, such as the ever popular gingerbread man and woman. Bake for about 7-9 minutes at 375 degrees.
- When finished baking, allow cookies to cool before transferring to wax paper or wire cookie rack.
- Decorate with icing and sprinkles!